Friday 11 October 2013

Week 8 Dish 1: Vegan plum cake

I love fruits - which I'm sure you've all noticed with all my fruity bakes. But I really do love fruits, so I've been working my way through as many as I can. This week I've baked with a new fruit - plums! I bought them from Aldi - it was one of their Super 6 last week. I actually bakes this on Tuesday after Bake Off but I've been so busy that I just haven't had a chance to post it up - sorry for making you all wait. I also managed to find cheap strawberries again from another fruit shop but decided that I want to eat them this time rather than make a baked good. So here is the recipe for the very simple, not too sweet plum cake!

Ingredients
1 tsp dry yeast
1 tbsp warm water
1 1/2 cups plain flour
1 1/2 cups wholemeal flour
3/4 cup sugar (this amount just gives a slight sweetness, double if you want a sweet cake)
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon (this gives a very strong flavour so reduce to 1 tsp if you prefer)
1 1/4 cups soya milk
5 tbsp melted coconut oil
2 tsp vanilla extract
8 plums, sliced or quartered
1 tsp grated orange zest
Method

  1. Dissolve yeast in the tablespoon of warm water and set aside. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C and grease and flour a 9-inch cake dish.
  2. In a large bowel, mix the flours, sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
  3. Stir in the milk, coconut oil, vanilla extract, yeast mix and orange zest and fold in until combined. The batter should be fairly stiff.
  4. Spoon into the cake dish and arrange plums atop batter, pushing them in slightly.
  5. Bake for 40-45 minutes until golden brown on top, or until tester comes out clean. Allow to cool in the tin for 10 minutes before removing and cooling on a wire rack. Serve while still warm or when cool.
Original recipe: Vegan plum cake

I'm making my next dish tomorrow morning, and let me tell you it's going to be amazing!! It's a treat for my friends who are doing their joint birthday celebration tomorrow, can't wait to see what they think of it!!! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment