Wednesday 15 January 2014

Week 22 Dish 1: Vegan banana oat cake

These days we seem to have many bananas that become overripe. I think it's because we have so many other fruits and snacks in the house that they have just been forgotten. But I can't let them go to waste so I've been making muffins or bread to use them up (which probably hasn't helped us eat the remaining bananas...vicious cycle). This time I decided to try and find a new recipe. It was difficult because I've already made banana barsmuffins/ bread and 2 types of cookies (here and here). So I thought I would go for cake or scones, and I happened to find a yummy cake recipe first so I went for that!

This cake is a bit dense because its made with oats and oat flour, and has banana pieces in it rather than just mashed banana, but boy is it delicious!
I topped my slice with left over vegan tofu frosting - tasted yummy! If you want to cover the top of the cake with it you will probably only need about a third of what I made for that recipe.
Serves 8-10
Ingredients
2 cups oats, processed into flour
1/2 cup oats (not processed)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp mixed spice
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp oil (coconut or other)
2 medium very ripe bananas, mashed
1/23 cup applesauce
1/4 cup soya milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
1 ripe banana cut into chunks
Method
  1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees C and line an 8 inch cake tin with grease proof paper.
  2. In a large bowl, mix the oat flour, oats, sugar, spices, baking powder and salt.
  3. In another bowl, combine the mashed banana, oil, applesauce, soya milk and vanilla until smooth. Add this mixture to the dry ingredients and incorporate until just combined. Finally, fold in the banana chunks and chopped walnuts.
  4. Pour the batter into the prepared tin and bake for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for at least 15-20 minutes before removing from the tin and allowing to cool completely.
Original recipe: Rustic chocolate chip banana oat cake

No comments:

Post a Comment