Thursday 30 January 2014

Week 24 Dish 1: Vegan red pepper muffins

Revision is now in full swing with finals in only 6 1/2 weeks. I'm definitely feeling the stress! I've been baking a lot to help me relax in the evenings before bed otherwise I feel too tense to sleep. This means that I am going to have many yummy recipes to share with you all! I've continues with the savoury theme for now but I have a few sweet bakes planned too.

The first recipe I want to share with you all this week is vegan red pepper muffins. They have a very different flavour because of the polenta flour in them, which I used for the first time in my bakes. They turned out really yummy and filling, perfect for a revision snack. Enjoy!
Makes 12 small muffins
Ingredients
1 cup plain flour
1/2 cup polenta flour (aka cornmeal)
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/2 tsp bouillion powder (I replaced this with part of a veg stock cube)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 sweet red pepper
1/2 red onion
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1/4 cup oil plus 1 tbsp for frying
3/4 cup soya milk
1 tsp cider vinegar
Method
  1. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C and line a muffin tray with muffin cups - I used silicon cups as they are a little smaller.
  2. Finely chop the red pepper and onion. Heat the tablespoon of oil in a pan. Add the onions and 1/2 tsp of salt and pepper. Cook for several minutes before adding the  red pepper, and a few minutes later the garlic. Let the garlic infuse for several minutes before taking off the heat and setting aside.
  3. Sift the flour, polenta, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, bouillion powder, salt and pepper into a large bowl and mix. 
  4. Combine the oil, milk and vinegar in a separate bowl, then add to the dry ingredients. Fold until almost combined then add the red pepper mix and continue folding until evenly distributed.
  5. Divide the batter between the muffin cups and bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Original recipe: Gnarly vegan red pepper savoury muffins

No comments:

Post a Comment