Saturday 4 January 2014

Week 20 Dish 2: Vegan healthy blueberry muffins

My Christmas holidays are over :( and they went so fast! Back to uni from Monday, starting with two weeks of lectures. It will be nice really, because the whole year will be together again for the third last time ever! It's so hard to believe that it's 2014 - I've always known that I would graduate in 2014 and it just seemed so far away whenever I thought about it. Now it's the present! Time flies (yes, a very cliche phrase, but cliche for a reason).

So as you all know, I begun this blog to challenge myself to bake two vegan dishes per week for 6 months. This dish signifies the end of week 20, meaning that I only have six weeks left! That's 12 more glorious recipes in 2014. To start off 2014, keeping in mind the need to eat healthier after all the indulgences during Christmas, I have baked healthy blueberry muffins! It's one of the classic muffins available in cafes, and I finally managed to buy some blueberries - forget buying them, definitely have a go making them yourself!

Yes they are in the shape of Christmas trees...a bit late but I got the silicon tray on sale earlier in the week and I just had to use it!

Makes 12
Ingredients
1 cup plain flour
1 cup wholemeal flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup sugar (plus 2 tbsp sugar if you want it a bit sweeter)
1 cup soya milk
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
3 tbsp vegetable oil
1 1/3 cups fresh blueberries (about 165g)
Method

  1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees C and line a muffin tray with muffin cups.
  2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the flours, salt, cinnamon, baking powder and sugar.
  3. In a separate bowl whisk together the milk, vanilla and oil. Pour this mixture into the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Add the blueberries and stir gently until evenly distributed without over-mixing and smooshing the berries.
  4. Spoon the batter into the muffin tray and bake for 19 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to sit in tin for 10 minutes before removing and allowing to cool completely.
Original recipe: Healthy blueberry muffins

No comments:

Post a Comment