Saturday 16 November 2013

Week 13 Dish 1: Vegan Pineapple coconut cookies

My GP attachment is officially over! I'm quite sad about it really, I have a brilliant time out in Somerset. All the doctors were juts so welcoming and I had so many of my own clinics. I learnt so much and felt like part of the team (cliche I know, but still true) because they got me so involved unlike many attachments when you're just put in the corner to observe. And of course the GPs I stayed with were so amazing! I already mentioned that they took me clay pigeon shooting, and during the rest of the trip they took me wine tasting, cider tasting and to pudding club! Pudding club was a very interesting experience, I tried so many and there was one in particular that I loved - apricot brioche tart. Unfortunately it's not vegan but I might still make it at some point when I feel like indulging. Safe to say I had lots of fun!

The doctors I stayed with had an amazing garden and grew many fruits, veg and herbs. It made me miss my tropical fruits so I treated myself to a pineapple tin this week after I saw this very scrumptious looking recipe. They came out quite different compared to the photos of the original recipe but yummy nonetheless! Again, these are one of my less healthy bakes, but it's good to treat yourself every now and then ;)
Makes 12
Ingredients
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup vegan margarine
225 g pineapple pieces, crushed (but not too much)
1 3/4 cups plain flour
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp baking powder
2/3 cup chopped walnuts (or nut of preference)
1 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
Method

  1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C and line a baking tray with grease proof paper.
  2. Cream the vegan margarine and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the pineapple and beat until well mixed, followed by the baking powder and flour while mixing on low speed.
  3. Stir in the chopped nuts and 3/4 cup of desiccated coconut.
  4. Shape the dough into 1 inch balls and roll in the rest of the coconut before placing on the baking tray about 2 inches apart. My batter was very wet, probably because I crushed the pineapple more than I should have so couldn't make balls. Instead I sprinkled a bit of coconut on the tray, put a dollop of batter on top of it and sprinkled more coconut on top. A bit tricky and messy but worked out in the end!
  5. Bake for 15-18 minutes or until lightly browned on top. Cool for 5 minutes on the tray then remove and allow to cool completely on a wire rack.
Original recipe: Vegan paradise cookies

No comments:

Post a Comment