Saturday 7 September 2013

Week 3 Dish 2: Vegan apple bread

I've really cut it close this week, haven't I? Two and a half hours before week 4 starts and I've finally finished dish 2! But I still made it, that's what counts. My only excuse is that I've had a pretty busy week, though not because of university but because I've been out having a bit too much fun. Ah well :p So this was a difficult dish, I tried a different apple bread recipe first and it just didn't come out right - it wasn't cooked at all inside but burned on top. It was raw (but still tasty - couldn't throw it away without trying a bit) and I was pretty disappointed. Of course, I had no choice but to try another recipe to reach my two-recipe goal. Thankfully this one turned out fine, yay! The saying 'if at first you don't succeed...' comes to mind. One other thing I learned is that peeling things, like apples, is just so tedious. Good thing that the rest of the recipe was much faster to complete.
Ingredients
1/2 cup oil
1/4 cup applesauce
1 cup apples, peeled and grated
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup plain flour
1/2 cup wholemeal flour
1/4 cup ground linseeds (aka flaxseeds. I bought whole linseeds fron asda and ground them myself. Also available from health food shops)
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
Method
  1. Preheat oven to 150°C. Line a loaf tin with greaseproof paper.
  2. Combine the oil, applesauce, apples, brown sugar and vanilla extract in a large bowl.
  3. In a separate bowl sift the plain flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt. Add the wholemeal flour and ground linseed.
  4. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients gradually until just combined. Finally add the walnuts.
  5. Bake in loaf tin for 1.5 - 1.75 hours until a skewer come out clean and the top in a nice golden brown.
  6. Leave to cool in the tin for 10 minute before removing (so hard to wait!!)
Original recipe: Vegan apple bread
This is a brilliant recipe to make when there are no exotic fruit around - even apples make amazing bakes goodies!

No comments:

Post a Comment