Tuesday 10 September 2013

Week 4 Dish 2: Vegan Pineapple Pie

You know what I've learned so far from all this baking? The best bit (other than the end product and the general joy of baking) is licking the bowl when you've put the goodies in the oven. Oh so good!!! I don't think anyone can disagree...And the worst bit is cleaning up after, though I'm getting better at being tidier (my mum is very happy about this - though of course I always clean up after myself). 

Last week I managed to buy 2 pineapples with my mum for £1 - I think it's the last of the Summer wine really, I doubt we will continue to have many more tropical fruits available now! So, as inspired by this week's Great British Bake Off episode, I decided to make a pie! It's one that should be eaten cold, and turned out really well. Hope you think so too!!

Ingredients
For the cream
450 g fresh pineapple, peeled and chopped
250 g soya yogurt
100 g corn flour
100 g sugar
For the base
250 g plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
100 g sugar
80 ml pineapple juice
80 ml canola/ rapeseed oil
Method
  1. First make the cream. Mix the chopped pineapple, yogurt, sugar and cornflour and blend.
  2. Once it's creamy, transfer to a deep saucepan and heat over a medium heat, stirring constantly until it's well thickened (about 5-7 minutes). Set aside.
  3. Preheat oven to 180 degrees C.
  4. In a large mixing bowl combine the flour, baking powder and sugar. Make a well in the centre and add the juice and oil. Knead with your hands to form a soft dough.
  5. Take out 1/3 of the dough and set aside. Place the remaining dough onto a piece of greaseproof paper and roll into a 1/2cm thin circle. Place into a 9 inch pie dish and cover the base and sides. Pit with a fork.
  6. Roll the remaining dough to a circle large enough to cover the pie.
  7. Fill the pie with the pineapple cream and cover with the rolled out dough. Cut four long lines on the top of the pie and brush lightly with 1 tbsp of soya yogurt.
  8. Bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes or until well browned on top.
  9. Allow to cool completely, then slice and serve!
Original recipe: Low-fat vegan pineapple pie

2 comments:

  1. If there's two things I'm not keen on it's vegans and pineapples but it turns out that the two combined, with the talented hands of someone who I've only heard referred to as 'Sister', can taste really good! Definite yum in the tum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yay I'm so glad you liked it :D I will send more goodies with my sis when I make some

      Delete