Thursday 19 September 2013

Week 5 Dish 2: Vegan cinnamon oatmeal raisin cookies

It's official, my Final Year Dinner (FYD) outfit is now complete! FYD this year is at the beginning of November and I really hate leaving things to the last minute so I bought an amazing dress last week and managed to find the perfect shoes over the weekend. Now I have the accessories too so I'm all set! The only thing I have to do now is make sure I don't put on any weight till then - a difficult task considering what I've just baked today!

So far most of my main dishes (the ones I count as my two per week) have been relatively healthy, but this one definitely isn't (though I did reduce the sugar, but they are still sweeet). I couldn't help myself, they just sounded so scrumptious and the reviews made it even harder to resist - so I did the only thing I could and baked them :D I can still smell the cinnamon-y goodness in the air...

Makes 24
Ingredients
1 cup vegan margarine
2/3 cup sugar (reduce to 1/2 if you want them less sweet)
2/3 cup brown sugar (again reduce to 1/2 if you want them less sweet)
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp soya milk
6 tbsp applesauce
2 cups plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp salt
4 tsp cinnamon (2 if you're not a huge cinnamon fan)
2 cups oats
1 cup raisins
Method

  1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees C and line three trays with grease proof paper.
  2. Beat together the sugar and margarine until creamy.
  3. Add in the vanilla, soya milk, and apple sauce, and beat more until well combined.
  4. In a separate bowl mix the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, salt, and cinnamon until evenly blended.
  5. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix together well. Finally mix in the oats and raisins.
  6. Drop heaped tablespoons of batter onto the trays 1 inch apart. Bake for 12-15 minutes (longer if they are slightly bigger - I had 21 in total so they were bigger and needed about 18 minutes). Cool for 5 minutes on the trays and then place on a wire rack to cool completely.
Original recipe: Vegan cinnamon oatmeal raisin cookies

Like I said, these are pretty sweet so use less sugar if you want. I'm sure the flour can be substituted with wholemeal too to make it slightly healthier. If anyone does try that, let me know how they turn out! I'm going to take these to the hospital tomorrow to share with my team, hope they like them.....:)

No comments:

Post a Comment