Sunday 8 September 2013

Week 4 Dish 1: Vegan blackberry scones

Yep, more blackberry! Still have lots left in my garden so I thought I better use them to make yummy treats. There will be another jug of Pretty in Purple vegan smoothie for my family today too. Looking back at all my recipes, I've made a lot of muffins and cupcakes so I thought I need to branch out a bit. I don't really like making big cakes because smaller things are much easier to grab and go or take for lunch, which is perfect when you're quite busy. So that's why I decided to go for scones this time, though they didn't turn out exactly like scones....
(Yep they do look like muffins, explanation below)
Makes 18-24
Ingredients
2 cups plain flour
2 cups wholemeal flour
2 1/2 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
pinch of salt
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1/3 cup oil
1 1/4 cup soya milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups blackberries (fresh or frozen)
2 tbsp agave nectar/ maple syrup/ honey if you're not vegan
Method

  1. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C.
  2. Mix the first five ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Stir blackberries with the agave in another bowl and leave to one side.
  3. In a third bowl, mix the remaining ingredients. Gently fold the wet ingredients into dry. When partially mixed, add the berries and agave and continue folding in until just combined. Try to keep the berries as whole as possible. If you used frozen berries continue to step 3, otherwise jump to step 6.
  4. Flour a clean surface, transfer dough onto it and press gently with your hands to flatten it out to 3/4 inch thick.
  5. Using a cookie cutter, cut out the shapes you want, place at least an inch apart on a non-stick tray and bake for 15-20 minutes. 
  6. If you have fresh berries like I did, when you fold them in they will all get smooshed, making the dough a lot more liquidy. This means that it can't be cut with a cookie cutter. Instead I spooned the mixture into about 20 small muffin cups almost to the top and baked for 25-30 minutes. But remember when you eat them, they aren't muffins, they are scones so you may want to cut them in half and use a bit of margarine. 
I don't want to leave things as late as I did last week so recipe two should be coming soon! I also updated all my past posts with where you can buy the more unusual ingredients from (in the UK), so if you were struggling it should be easy now :)

No comments:

Post a Comment