Tuesday 17 September 2013

Week 5 Dish 1: Vegan apple cookies

It's now been officially over a month since I began my blog, and I'm very happy with how it's going so far. I think I can definitely keep it going for another 5, can't I? Here's hoping! It's been a pretty exciting week actually, I've just had vaccines for my elective which really isn't that far away - April next year. But it really brought home the fact that it means finals aren't far away either (eeek!) so I've started reading a bit more.

My mum has gotten another bag of apples this week soooo it's time for another apple recipe. I made this recipe on Sunday but haven't had a chance to put it up until now - I decided to do cookies since I haven't done any yet. These cookies are really moist and filling and just so very scrumptious, if I do say so myself. Give them a go!

Ingredients
2 cups oats
1 1/2 cups wholemeal flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 tsp brown sugar
1 cup soya milk
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/4 cup melted coconut oil (cheapest to buy from VB)
1 1/2 cups grated apple
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional, or other nut of your choice/ optional)
1/3 cup raisins (or other dried fruits/ optional)
Method

  1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees C and line 2 baking trays with grease proof paper.
  2. In a large mixing bowl stir together the oats, flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and brown sugar.
  3. In smaller bowl whisk together the milk, applesauce and coconut oil. Pour this mixture over the dry ingredients and stir in the apples, walnuts and raisins until just combined.
  4. Spoon out serving spoonfuls of dough and drop onto the tray, 2 inches apart. Flatten them slightly for easier baking. Bake for 15-17 minutes and cool on the tray for 2 minutes before transferring them onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Original recipe: Vegan apple breakfast cookies
As these cookies are really moist, best to store in the fridge if they aren't eaten within a couple of days.

No comments:

Post a Comment